Saturday, August 2, 2008

COMMITTING

I made a promise that once I got my plan together I would start a blog. Keep me honest. Once you put it out there that you plan to do it, then you are doing it; no backing away and no sneaky changing your mind. So here I am and no getting away from it, it is time. Welcome to Sock Puppet Racing.

This blog will follow my preparation, and hopefully transformation from an average weekend warrior into a beast 24 hour solo MTB rider who will be good enough to represent her country at the world championships in 2009. Already the preparations have begun. In the last couple of weeks a few things come together for me.

Tick: finished up my adventure racing commitments, and have turned my attention to all things bike. Good!
Tick: I have picked up a coach. Better!
Tick: I have picked up a sponsor. Best!
Tick: I have been horrified at just how slow I am riding. WTF!!! That was not part of the plan.

It is tempting to push up the speed and just ride faster. I know I can. But training is about the right efforts at the right intensities. Your heart rate doesn't lie. I have to push ego aside and tell myself 'You are where you are. Accept it. Start the work'. Doesn't mean I have to like it though, not one little bit.

Someone told me once if you want to get better, ride with those that are better than you. I think there is something in that. I've embraced it by sharing my long ride this weekend with mlegs. Argueably one of the best female MTBs Australia has ever produced. I look forward to the hurt tomorrow as we head up and back to Mount Mee. I am balancing it out by taking along my regular ride buddy TR. Who is also kicking my ass at the moment. There 's motivation if I ever saw it!

No comments: