Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Being a first timer is freaky!

This Sunday I am headed off for my first Road Race.  I have been getting into more than a bit of road after listening and taking notice of everything my Timor teamies told me.... and the time has come to graduate from Criteriums to Road Racing.

The race of choice is the UQCC organised race - The Charles Coin, mainly because it fits in with Mawson prep, I am not sick for the first time in a while, TOSR got cancelled, and it is a Uni event so supporting it is important to me.

 

Technically I am told this should suit me more - but the reality is I have no idea and my mind is full of the usual questions - will I be able to keep up, will my legs be ok, how many bottles do I need, how do people ride these things, are the C grade men really as dangerous as everyone makes out, will I get MTB guilt and do too much work off the front?


I am racing in Womens B, which means I will be off in Div 4 and unfortunately that also means rolling without my usual Koiled wheels to keep me safe!! I am not sure I can even ride in a straight line solo after all the hours spent on Shans wheel logging our Mawson training kms.

 

Still something tells me I will do just fine on my own.  Dangerous words to publish before the race perhaps... but the things I know are simple.  I am not afraid to hurt, and I have zero expectations other than to learn the ropes.  How bad can it be - it is ONLY 74km !!!  Maybe the orders will reverse... stranger things have happened!



Wish me luck.





2 comments:

Sean Bekkers said...

luck wished. rip it

Anonymous said...

I *know* you will be FINE. I kinda wish the others luck.... they will be hurting with you there.......;-) see you there.... x