Monday, July 30, 2012

HPRW Womens Series - Race Two - The ITT

 


HPRW Race Two took  us out to Closeburn for a tough little 20kkm ITT course.


Shan built me up an AWESOME koiled TT bike with a blinging custom paint job and I dug out the skinsuit and helmet.  All good bikes need a name, so I decided she should be called the TTime Machine....

I knew I was asking for trouble by having done no TT practice, and only getting my bike the day before but what the hell - MTBers have nothing to lose right!

My teamie Bear wasn't riding so he headed out to help, encourage and watch - being the TT fiend that he is.  Having done the TTT last year I think I got the general idea about how to ride one of these thing, but has no idea how to pace myself. Both he and Jaman provided me various bits of good advice.

I rego'd and jumped onto the trainer to warm up.  With nearly 40 ladies in attendance it was a great turn out. Superstar TTer Simone Grounds was there and I expected a strong ride from Jess Toghill.  There were also a couple of other strong ladies, with long pedigrees. And I was in unfamiliar territory. 

I didn't feel completely awesome with my heart rate was pinging high and fast, but it was showtime. Nerves I suppose!

I ran through the tried and true CCC warm up and listened to some tunes.  It was a bit rushed (how does that always happen?!) but I jumped off the trainer, and into my helmet/gloves and shoes and headed for the start line. I rolled up the road and u-turned and rocked up to find the first 5 girls had already gone! Eeeek.  Nearly missed it!  Slotted in as lucky number 7 and only had one minute to wait before I was off.

I'd been given lots of good advice, but I seemed to misplace it as soon as the starter yelled go.  Inside of a minute my brain had screamed LIKE A BOSS and I was already at 180bpm and going hard.  Save yourself they said.  FAIL.  It was a windy day, and the experience of my first real TT bar ride on rough roads with race wheels and crosswinds was a challenge to say the least. I hardened up and took my chances - what do you know, I lived.    I'd been told that I would think that I had a headwind going out but I wouldn't.  FAIL.  I was sure I had a headwind, so worked hard thinking the back end would be a tailwind. FAAAAIL!

I could see ladies in front of me and did my best to ride and catch, offering encouragement where I could.  I had ticked off the numbers in the first 9kms or so - but then I was also being hunted by Simone.  She got me on the turn, and with no-one else out front of us - my job became trying to limit the gap she was putting in. 
At the end of the day I turned in a 32.31 for the 20km which I think was a good effort. It was good enough to be given 3rd on the day, which has been corrected to 2nd  due to a EDIT*: timing error mix up with muppets entering the wrong grade or some such thing (better?)...  Anyway it's my first ITT benchmark... and we know what happens next! The hunt for time!!!


As always the day was shared with good mates.  For the ITT game fellow dirty bikers Brett Nelson and Jaman rolled the horned steeds.... Brett had a ripper ride with 4th in MMAS2, and Jaman attacked himself senseless, as you do.  We also had the boss, Shannon and Neil there as spectators and helpers - thanks guys!

Koiled ITT'ers - Brett, Jaman and Rach.... and the TTime Machine.

2 comments:

adam said...

Nice ride Rach! You are definitely in with a big chance for the series. I have to say though the timing was deadly thank you very much - just muppets who entered in the wrong grade! :) Adam Hansen

rach edwards said...

hahaaaa!!!! Mr HANSEN, so nice of you to drop by!!! yes, timing was perfect - and given at the first race I was entered in mens B and had a womens C number (all my own fault, well technically tappers as he did me a 'favour' and entered me) I am not one to throw stones.

Was a nice surprise to get a promotion to 2nd... Will make the last race of the series interesting - and the format would be my preference of the three... Yeoooow - hold onto your hats people - I am going to RIP IT!!!! :D